The History of Banbridge Golf Club

In May 1912 Mr D W Smyth, the Club’s first Captain, called a public meeting to gauge support for the formation of a golf club in Banbridge.  A temporary committee was formed and in December 1912 a lease of 48 acres of local land was signed.  The course first opened for play on 17th March 1913 and was officially opened on 4 June 1913 by the Earl of Annesley.  GUI affiliation followed in 1914. In 1970 a further 3 holes were added and in 1991 the course was extended to the present challenging 18 hole layout with views of the Mourne Mountains.  The Club celebrated its centenary of golf in 2013.

The first wooden clubhouse was built in 1929 at a cost of £612.  A more substantial clubhouse was opened in 1979 by Mr W E Holton OBE in the presence of the GUI Ulster Branch Chairman Mr Dan Moncrieff.  The present clubhouse, containing excellent bar, dining facilities and Pro Shop, was completed in 1997 and opened by Mr R Duke with GUI Ulster Branch officials Mr W Black and Mr B Edwards in attendance.

The Club has produced many outstanding golfers in recent years including 3 touring Professional golfers and 2 teaching golf Professionals.  Banbridge has outstanding amateurs who have won international and provincial caps for Ireland and Ulster, culminating in the Walker Cup.  We have won national and provincial titles at all levels as well as many prestigious scratch cups.  On a team level, Banbridge Golf Club has had more than their share of success in regional and national GUI events.


The history of the Club has been published in a book

and can be purchased from the Office for only £10

Contact Sandra for further details.